• Image relating to Santa Materno and Lucia #0
    Photo: K.Weise
  • Image relating to Santa Materno and Lucia #1
    Photo: Lago di Como (Lake Como)

Santa Materno and Lucia Lecco

Comments

Built in 1576 by St Charles Borromeo as a temple for the nearby convent of Capuchin Friars. It contains one of the most collections of art in Lecco: nine glass houses containing compositions of polychrome wax that represent the seven scenes from the life of Christ and the Virgin and the two scenes from the life of Saint Francis and Chiara.

Saint Materno and Lucia: Description

The church holds one of the most particular works of art of Lecco: nine glass cases containing compositions of polychrome wax, typical of the Neapolitan culture of late 17th century, representing seven scenes from the life of Christ and the Virgin Mary and two scenes from the lives of Saints Francis and Clare. Inside it hosts a beautiful altarpiece painted by Giovan Battista Crespi called Cerano (1600) that illustrates the saint Francis and Gregory the Great adoring the Trinity. It was the ancient church of the Convent of the Capuchin monks and of Padre Cristoforo, character of the novel "The Betrothed" written by Alessandro Manzoni. Remarkable is the bell tower of triangular section.

Santa Materno and Lucia
Address:
Piazza Cristoforo Padre, 1-2, Lecco LC 23900