The marvellous building presents an elegant baroque façade next to an ancient bell tower, built in 1764. The inside of the church shows a splendid structure with a single nave that finishes in a deep presbytery. Spectacular are the 17th century frescoes painted by Giovanni Mauro della Rovere, also known as Fiamminghino, surrounded by stucco decorations by Pietro Silva. The Fiamminghino was so called because of his father’s Flemish extraction. He was born in Milan in 1575 and worked for several years in the Como Lake area.
Moreover, a spectacular vault overlooks the church. It was painted by Giulio Quaglio from Laino in 1714-16. The vault has recently been restored and represents the Glory of St. Abbondio surrounded by the Evangelists.