• Image relating to Sant'Agostino #0
    Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali
  • Image relating to Sant'Agostino #1
    Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali
  • Image relating to Sant'Agostino #2
    Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali
  • Image relating to Sant'Agostino #3
    Photo: Di Geobia
  • Image relating to Sant'Agostino #4
    Photo: Di Geobia

Sant'Agostino Como

Comments

The church was founded in 1300 by two brothers Hermits of St. Augustine from Civilio, a village above Como, on land donated by a family whose members were later buried in front of the presbytery. It is the only example of Cistercian architecture pointed to Como. Inside the spacious chapels are preserved frescoes from the first half of 16th century.

Sant'Agostino: Description

The current state of the building is the result of a vigorous campaign of restoration carried out in the early sixties that dismantling the neoclassical superstructure of the second half of the eighteenth century and subsequent changes made in the forties of the nineteenth century, tried to restore the architectural forms original that had remained unchanged only in simple bell-tower to the sacristy. Were reduced as the size of the choir by moving the altar under the triumphal arch and lowering his presbytery on whose back wall reopened mullioned windows lobed; they demolished the vaults reconstructing the trusses; were found frescoes of the triumphal arch and a few fragments of those on the pillars of the nave.

Sant'Agostino
Address:
Piazza Amendola, 22, Como CO 22100
Telephone:
031300217

Hours:

  • Jan 1 - Dec 31, Mon - Sun, 07:30 - 12:00
  • Jan 1 - Dec 31, Mon - Sun, 14:30 - 19:00