The church was built in the 11th Century but has been almost comepletely rebuilt in the 17th century. Inside there are splendid coloured "scagliole". In the Intelvi Valley the Maestri Intelvesi used a special material called “scagliola” or false marble to decorate churches and monuments. Many families or artisan workshops (“botteghe”) developed this art to produce “paliotti”, tables, altars and decorations in general. The technique of the scagliola was born around 1500 to imitate the expensive marble inlaying: this way they started to substitute the valuable marble with a cheaper product made of plaster, special glue, water and coloured pigments that resulted in a very beautiful decorative effect.