Comacina Island: Description
It lies in the area called Zoca de l’Oli area characterized by a mild climate favourable for the cultivation of olive trees. It preserves the ruins of its illustrious past when it was one of the most important centres of the diocese of Como and hosted several churches including one of the most important basilicas of the 11th century, S. Euphemia.
It also covered an important political and economical position, and had a strategic fortification system with houses surrounded by high walls. Still now it is called Castèl (castle). The Island sided with Milan against Como in the 10 year war (1118-1127), and was completely destroyed by the Comaschi allies of Barbarossa. Nothing more was rebuilt for centuries. It fell under the responsibility of the Brera Academy and in 1939 the architect Pietro Lingeri built three houses for artists, in rationalistic style. Lately much has been done to create an intense restoration activity of the archeaelogical values of the Island. Excavations have brought to the light important remains of the Middle Ages. A small museum called Antiquarium has been created located at Ossuccio next to the beautiful Romanesque church of S. Maria Madalena with its gothic bell tower. The Island can also be reached from here by taxi boat. For information about prices and guided visits of the Island apply to the Antiquarium tel. 0344 56369
To visit the Comacina island and the Antiquarium Museum is provided a payment of an ENTRANCE TICKET. This ticket can be bought at the Antiquarium Museum or directly at the info point / ticket office on the Island. The ticket includes the visit of the Museum. The taxi boat transport ticket is not included and is paid directly on the boat. There are penalties for those who will be found without ticket.