• Image relating to San Tecla #0
  • Image relating to San Tecla #1
    Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali
  • Image relating to San Tecla #2
    Photo: triangololariano.it
  • Image relating to San Tecla #3
    Photo: triangololariano.it
  • Image relating to San Tecla #4
    Photo: triangololariano.it
  • Image relating to San Tecla #5
  • Image relating to San Tecla #6
  • Image relating to San Tecla #7
    Photo: Ktulu

San Tecla Torno

Comments

The church of Santa Tecla is near the harbor in a quiet and pleasant; recently restored, in it you can see the remains of frescoes by Bartolomeo De Benzi and Andrea De Passeris. Located on the right bank of Lake Como, Torno preserves the characteristics of a medieval village, with some significant architectonic details surviving: in the lower part of town, facing the lovely small port, is the parish church of Saint Tecla, with renaissance traces and an important fresco from 1500.

Within, the so-called "Man of Sorrows", and a contemporary Lamentation in sculpted wood; in the upper part there is the fourteenth-century Church of San John, with a beautiful Romanesque bell tower and a renaissance door in marble with statues and reliefs.

The origin of the structure is unknown. It is believed that the first building was built in the Middle Ages and in the Romanesque style, as can be witnessed from the bell tower, which was modified over the centuries, undergoing renovations and expansions.

In addition, the church housed for several centuries the first known work of the painter Andrea De Passeris Torno: the Assumption of the Virgin, dated 1488, now preserved in the deposits of the Pinacoteca di Brera in Milan.

San Tecla
Address:
Piazza Giovio 1, Torno CO 22020