Santa Maria in Martinico: Description
The church of Santa Maria in Martinico appears as a building with a nave closed by a semicircular apse. Of Romanesque origins, the building visible today is the result of the restoration, at the beginning of the twentieth century, that has eliminated all the Baroque additions.
The western part, the side door and the facade are the result of interventions later than the date of construction of the church between the eleventh and twelfth centuries. On the north side you can see the Romanesque portal of the twelfth century, supported by columns with capitals, with an architrave supported by elements shaped like human heads in bas-relief.
The apse and the side walls are adorned with arches and stones arranged in a sawtooth with anthropomorphic and zoomorphic decorations. The bell tower stands isolated and is open from double lancet windows.Inside there are fragments of frescoes, a glass wall with the Immaculate Virgin in the apse lancet and a cross in gilded silver by goldsmith Francesco dated 1513.