Villa Serbelloni: Gardens overlooking Bellagio
Villa Serbelloni belongs to the Rockefeller Foundation and offers hospitality to artists and scientists from all over the world. It also serves as a high-end hotel. The villa was built in the 15th century for Marchesino Stanga. It was modified in the 16th century by the Sfondrati family and passed in the late 18th century into the hands of the Serbelloni Dukes, who left the building intact, but extended the magnificent grounds.
These stretch over the high part of the promontory of Bellagio, with over 18 km of avenues and paths that allow the visitor to admire the large quantity of plants, including rare and exotic plants, which grow on the terraces sloping down towards the lake.Splendid views of the Como and Lecco branches of the Lake from the XVIII century garden as well as views of the lake's northern branch and the Pre-Alps from the remains of the fortification on the top of the promontory.
Villa Serbelloni Garden’s rules
- (1) The garden is open from March 14th to November 2nd 2014, everyday except Mondays (Open on Monday April 21st and on Monday June 2nd). Guided tours of the gardens take place twice a day: at 11 am and at 3.30 pm for a minimum of 6 pax to a maximum of 30 pax. During solar time period for security reasons the afternoon tour will start at 2.30 pm. In the event of bad weather, tours are cancelled.
- (2) The visit lasts about 1 hour and 30 minutes and can be quite difficult as the first hour of the tour involves uphill walking on uneven terrain as far as the top of the promontory. Since the downhill route is different to the one going up, the guide cannot leave participants behind to be picked up on return; it is therefore recommended to warn all participants of the difficulty of the tour. No chance to visit the inside of the Villa.
- (3) There are no toilet facilities in the garden.
- (4) Entrance fee 9,00 euro per person. Group entrance fees are 7,00 euro per person. School Students groups and children between 7 and 13 years 5,00 euro per person. Children under 7 years free entrance. For sure English or/and Italian speaking guide.
- (5) Payment to be made before the start of the tour. The meeting point is at the old medieval stone tower in the main square (near the church of St. Giacomo) in the upper part of Bellagio’s historic centre. Allow 10 minutes for the walk from the boat landing stage. Allow 20 minutes for the walk from the coach/bus/car parking area.
- (6) Groups are not accepted on Sunday or on Italian Bank Holidays. (Easter, 25th April, 1st May, 2nd June, 15th August)
- (7) Groups need to book in advance and re-confirm the day before the exact number of visitors if different to the number booked. Bookings are accepted only by fax or e-mail.
- (8) Cancellations made 3 days before the tour no penalty. For cancellations made only 48 hours before the tour 50% penalty, for cancellations made 24 hour before the tour 100% penalty.