museums near Alpe del Lupo

Photo: Ktulu

Como is Lake Como's largest city where you will find shopping, works of art, churches, gardens, museums, theatres, parks and palaces. Places to go inlcude the Duomo, the Basilica of Sant'Abbondio, Villa Olmo, the Volta Temple and Museum, the Teatro...

The church is located next to the parish church of SS. Quirico e Giulitta and is accessed by three steps. It dates from the fourteenth century and was enlarged with the construction of two bays in the middle of the sixteenth century. Noteworthy are...

The church of St. George is located in Bellagio, next to City Hall. It is contemporary with the Basilica of St. James, dating back to ' XI - XII century (dated between 1080 and 1120). Originally the apse and altar were facing east; but then moved...

With origins in the 17th century and remodelled later with an image of the patron saint on the facade by Bernardino Barelli. Noteworthy are the altar sculptures, frescoes, stucco, oil paintings, a Renaissance tabernacle and the wooden reliquary...

Although early in Christian origin, this church collapsed due to erosion at the end of the 16th century and was completely rebuilt in the Baroque style. Of note, are lavish frescos, sculpture wooden inlaid furniture and a stone font presbytery....

The San Tomaso Park occupies the lower foothills of the ridge of Corno Birone (1,116 m), Mount Rai (1,250 m), Mount Prà Santo (1,245 m) and the Colma di Val Ravella (939 m). The park offers a beautiful landscape from just a short distance from the...

Parish church built in the sixteenth century and later remodeled. The choir has a fresco by painter G. Quaglio. Next to the parish is the Oratory dedicated to Santa Marta with a fascinating frescoed facade in bas-relief from the sixteenth century,...

Located in a beautiful natural setting surrounded by quiet woods and stately lime trees, on a plateau halfway up the mountain Pìnzernone. The shrine is dedicated to a young martyr of the fourth century; who is always represented with weapons, in...

Originated in the eleventh century as a building with a single nave, then it changed to three in the following centuries. The church has beautiful statues, decorated with low and high stucco relief and valuable fresco paintings from the 17 and 18th...

In the hills of Tremezzo is the town of Rogaro whose old centre consists of 18th century homes grouped around the Baroque church dedicated to Mary. The church houses the famous wooden statue known as the Black Madonna which is said to have been...

Located at the cemetery, along the old path leading to Lanzo, it is among the most significant monuments of Valle Intelvi. The church stands on a site in itself archaeologically interesting: during work to reinforce embankments Roman tombs of...

Photo: Enrico Colzani

Built between 1723 and 1744 and consecrated by Bishop Albrici Pellegrini in 1764. The façade, in the Baroque style, is characterized by four pilasters and from the portal flanked by two niches and surmounted by a sundial. Above it is the date in...

The Sacred Mount of Ossuccio is one of the nine sacri monti in the Italian regions of Lombardy and Piedmont which were inscribed on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 2003. The devotional complex is located on a prealpine crag some 200...

The church was built in the 11th Century but has been almost comepletely rebuilt in the 17th century. Inside there are splendid coloured "scagliole". In the Intelvi Valley the Maestri Intelvesi used a special material called “scagliola” or false...

The church of St. Agatha is opposite to the parish of St. Stephen and is oriented to the west. It is a small building with gabled facade, two bays, two niches in the first bay, two chapels rectangular plan in the second and a presbytery with a...

On the ancient road that ran through the Val d'Intelvi, between Biazzeno and Dizzasco stands the parish church SS. Pietro and Paolo with its tall bell tower. It stands on a hillock with a wide view of the lake. The bell tower stands apart from the...

The church stands on the lake but you can also reach it from the antique center via small alleyways and steps. Next to the bell tower the original Romanseque bell tower can still be seen....

Right at the beginning of the town of Castiglione, with the green Intelvi valley as a back ground, stands the oratory of the Madonna del Restello built in the 17th century to thank the Madonna for the end of a plague that had infested the valley....

Photo: Enrico Colzani

Parish church built in the sixteenth century and later remodeled. The choir has a fresco by painter G. Quaglio. Next to the parish is the Oratory dedicated to Santa Marta with a fascinating frescoed facade in bas-relief from the sixteenth century,...

The monastery is located about 800 m above sea level, on the southern slope of Mount Galbiga, at the confluence of two tributary valleys of the stream Perlana, from which it takes its name. The place, evocative and isolated, has meant that the...

This building is the parish church of Ossuccio and was built after the church bearing the same name, situated on the Comacina Island. It dates back to the 12th century and during the restoration works of 1959 many parts of the Romanesque building...

Photo: Enrico Colzani

The church of San Rocco was the parish church of Pognana Lario up to 1744, when a new parish church dedicated to the Holy Trinity it was consecrated. It was then "downgraded", lost its dedication to the Holy Trinity, and was re-dedicated to St....

Photo: Enrico Colzani

The church of Saints Peter and Paul was believed to have been founded in the eleventh century by Bishop Rainald and consecrated in 1095 by Pope Urban II, who was traveling to Clermont-Ferrand to call the first crusade. Over the centuries, the...

The Church of Saints Nazario and Celso is just a short walk away from the waters of Lake Como, near the harbor in the old town of Brienno. Some documents attest to the presence of a church since the end of the thirteenth century, the Romanesque...

The parish church is located in the center of the country.Built in the seventeenth century, is decorated with prestigious and stucco friezes of Stefano Salterio (XVIII century) and also preserves works of painting and sculpture of the eighteenth...

Situated in the hamlet of Borgo, built on the previous Romanesque building, was the parish from the end of the fifteenth century. A single nave, has suffered repeated rearrangements. Inside frescoes Fiammenghino and an altarpiece of the sixteenth...

Urio, the part of the town that lies south of Carate, is characterized by the Romanesque bell tower of the Saints Quirico and Giulitta church that stands close to the lake. Rebuilt in 1865 from an original Romanesque church with two towers and a...

Photo: Enrico Colzani

This is situated in the locality of Rovasco and is from the 12th-13th centuries. It was renovated several times and was extended in the fourteenth century. It has preserved frescoes of the Blessed Virgin with Baby Jesus and St. Christopher. It is...

Photo: Enrico Colzani

The current building was built on the site previously occupied by an older church: its construction began in 1593 and lasted until the next century (1617), when it became an independent parish. In the eighteenth century underwent a partial...

Photo: Enrico Colzani

The small chapel is located in the historic center of Veleso, at the intersection of several streets. The façade is decorated with a fresco depicting the Crucifixion....

The church, that stands near the lake, contains interesting frescoes, and the outside is characterized by an open porch to the lake with a double lancetwindow and a tall stone bell tower. It was the church of the community, which remained...

Next to Lenno’s parish church is the baptistery, dating back to the second half of the 11th century and dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. The outside is simple and plain, with a square bell-tower and an apse on the north side. On the left side...

Photo: Michael Ortelli

This Romanesque church with emblematic bell tower was once a lodging for pilgrims making their way to Rome along Lake Como’s western shore. The history of the church has always been bound with contiguous ancient medieval hospice. The single nave...

Photo: Michael Ortelli

Parish church of Argegno made with Moltrasio stone in the Neo-romanic Style. A construction in neo-Romanesque style with a gabled facade enhanced by a rose window depicting saints. On the front of the church is a mosaic of the four Evangelists, the...

This little Romanesque church is built directly on the lake and still preserves its original structure. Worth seeing is not only the sail bell tower, but also the several traces of frescoes on the internal and external walls, among which stands out...

The parish church of St. Abbondio rises isolated on the western side of the village of Mezzegra, with its majestic front facing the lake. It was probably founded in the 12th century in Romanesque style, then rebuilt in 1702 by local emigrants and...

The parish church stands in the XI Febbraio square, near the baptistery, overlooking the renowned Venere Gulf, from where you are presented with an enchanting view. The church was built in the 5th or 6th century on the ruins of a watering place,...

Located right on the lake in the village of Tremezzo, the church began construction in 1775 and completed in 1896. The inside of the church was painted by Luigi Tagliaferri, who did all the paintings of the chorus and of the vault. The walls were...

Photo: Laurom

This sanctuary is part of a series of shrines along a one kilometer cobble stoned walkway. The shrines depict scenes of the Madonna’s and Christ’s life and are represented by frescos and natural size statues made of stucco and terracotta. The...

Located in the upper part of the village of Lenno. Once it was called monastery of Roncate after the name of the hamlet where it was built, but later it became the “Abbazia dell’Acquafredda" (the ‘Freshwater abbey’), because of a fresh source near...

An outdoor museum focusing on Abstract Sculpture with an exhibition area of more than 120 acres. The Rossini Art Site resonates in many ways with its founder’s desire to create a flexible, friendly and enjoyable place for families. At RAS, kids can...

A guided tour that tells the story of the radio that will provide insight and memories from the olden days before flat screen TVs and the Internet....

A small museum housing artifacts, images and posters describing the history of granite processing in Novate Mezzola. Sanfedelino. For nearly two centuries, extracting granite from the Sanfedelino quarry, so called to recognize the martyr Fedele...

Visit a century old mine and see the techniques employed to extract barite an important mineral used to refine sugar, in rubber, coated papers, pigments, glues, plastics and in protective materials against radiation. The material comes out the...

The baths date from the first century A.D. to the present day. Since the second half of the first century AD, the remains of Roman baths were spread over an area of about 1500 square meters. Thanks to recovery work in recent years, the baths are now...

Educational science museum that was inaugurated in 1917 aiming at providing educational tools for teaching science in school. The room that hosts the museum is painted with frescos inspired by nature and displays images of all Nobel Laureates who...

Located on the top floor of Riva 1920, a notable furniture manufacturer. It houses over 4,000 historic woodworking machines and tools. This is the biggest of such collections in the whole of Italy. The aim of the exhibition is to rediscover the...

A museum that aims to preserve and offer an account of country life in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, documented by artifacts and various objects. The museum is located on two floors: the first one is set up as a home environment...

A series of sculptures and paintings of Italian and European artists, creating a veritable outdoor museum while respecting the area’s pristine landscape. The works have been created by various artists with the intent of both beautifying and...

The House Museum of Moggio was commissioned in 1991 by Maria Goretti who, donated the property to the parish with the stipulation that it be used to benefit the community. The Museum includes historical objects, old photographs, fossils and minerals...

Contains a collection of natural history (fossils, minerals, dioramas of animals and a butterfly collection), archaeological and ethno-anthropological material with a reconstruction of a "Casel ", the typical hut of Maggengo. It is the first local...

The Abegg silk museum is housed in a 17th century silk mill built by the lakeside in Garlate and surrounded by a mulberry grove. It shows discoveries, inventions and machines for silk production, from worm breeding to fabric. It hosts a rich...

The Civic Art Gallery is located at Villa Manzoni in Lecco and hosts a selection of works belonging to the Civic Museums of Lecco and counts four hundreds paintings and two thousands engravings, divided chronologically in thematic rooms. A very...

In 1818, Pietro Monti, came to Abbadia Lariana where he transformed an old building for felting wool into silk production. In 1869 he enlarged the building and he added a new one for the spinning of cocoons; the first of the two spinning machines...

Belgiojoso palace was built in the late 17th and early 18th centuries by the family Locatelli Valle Imagna. It was renovated in 1774 and sold to the principles Belgiojoso d'Este, from which it derives its current name. Since 1928, the palace has...

Built in 1905, the building housed the offices of the Land Registry, taxes and duties where the Lecco went to pay taxes until 1964--hence the name: Palace of Fears. It is now home to temporary exhibitions and the Section of Contemporary Art and...

Gallery space that promotes various forms of art to ordinary people, trying to combine accessibility and quality, local and universal dimension, past and present. If we want people to love culture we have to give them a reason to love it. During the...

In addition to its lavish gardens and picturesque position on the lake, Villa Monastero is also a house museum where a vast number of objects belonging to its several owners are displayed....

Villa Manzoni houses the Museum Manzoni, the Municipal Art Gallery and the Library specialized museums Villa Manzoni, is a neoclassical building, dating from the seventeenth century, in which the residential portion is structured around a porch with...

The Museum holds records of the local history, traditions and customs. Several natural environments are recreated complete with plants, animals, mushrooms fossils and dioramas relating to the local fauna. The museum also has documents about the...

In 1978 a group of friends of the Lake of Como founded an association called "The Collection of Boats of Lake Como" with the aim of saving the age-old and noble nautical traditions of their lake. The museum was opened in 1982 and it is fitted out in...

Positioned within the Grigne, at a height of 1300 m, the Piani Resinelli Mineral Museum Park is placed in a fascinating landscape. They are ancient mines, used from the 16° century up to now, and can today be visited in total safety. The guided...

The Palace was then the scene of memorable historical facts and today becomes the perfect setting for their commemoration museum. Thus it was born in Dongo the innovative Museum of the End of the War: a virtual tour and interactive in the depths of...

The Toy Horse Museum is the first and to date only museum in the world dedicated to the horse toy. The Museum is located in what was once the stables of the famous trotter Tornese that in the fifties was more times world champion. In 1969, the...

Exhibition space for cultural events as contemporary art exhibitions, conferences, concerts and living-performances. One of the better known examples is MiniArtTextil—an annual international exhibition of contemporary art showing the best in Textile...

Our Museum: a voice which recounts to the future generations the importance of the events that took place in Dongo in April 1945. The last page of the WWII’s history was written here: the tragic tale of a war and a dictatorship which was responsible...

The Museum extends over a surface of 1000 square metres and its exhibits reconstruct the silk manufacturing process with an historical and educational approach. The visitor is given the opportunity to learn more about both the whole process and the...

The Moto Guzzi Museum is located in Mandello del lario, Lake Como, the original birth place of the Moto Guzzi Eagle motorcycle established in 1921. See many other models representing milestones in the history of Italian motorcycling. Complete the...

Como’s Archaeological Museum Paolo Giovio is housed in the Palazzo Giovio, and features collections from prehistoric and antiquity eras. The building, dating back to the late Middle Ages, underwent some changes in the sixteenth century by Benedetto...

This gem of a museum sits in a spectacular spot, adjacent to the chapel of the La Madonna del Ghisallo – patron saint of cycling – and 600 metres above Bellagio, offering spectacular views of Lake Como to the North and East. Together with the chapel...

What is today the Giuseppe Garibaldi Museum was once a residential building, which hosted Garibaldi during his campaigns for independence. Within its walls, is an impressive collection of dresses, weapons, documents and furniture of the...

More than two hundred navigational instruments are on display in this antique tower-shaped hous. Among the most interesting instruments in this private collection are a XVIII century telescope made in Venice, compasses and solar clocks of various...

The “Luigi Scanagatta" museum is of cultural and historical importance because of the number of birds specimens that was gathered throughout the years and its history. It was established in 1962 by professor Luigi Scanagatta, a well known...

Civic museum and gallery with artifacts and paintings from the Middle Ages, Renaissance and contemporary works....

The Volta Temple is a museum dedicated to Alessandro Volta, a prolific scientist and the inventor of the electrical battery. Volta was born in Como in 1745, held his first professorship there until 1779, and retired to Como in 1819. It is one of the...

Save and share the places you like with friends and fellow travellers.