Churches near Laghetto di Piona Beach

Originating on a 13th century temple site, this 15th century church was dedicated to San Bernardino, a preacher who crossed Italy on foot preaching religious reform, social justice and…

The Piona Priory or Piona Abbey, is a religious complex on the Lecco bank of Lake Como in the territory of the municipality of Colico, northern Italy. The abbey is set at the top of a small peninsula, the Olgiasca, which – like a crooked finger – points into the lake, creating an inlet. The abbey of Piona, or more…

Probably dated around the XII century. The building is located near the walls of a castle, a large complex built by the hands of Andreani. Over the centuries it has undergone several extensive restorations: the facade,…

Inside the church are interesting remains of 14th century frescoes and a series of frescoes of De Magistris  of 1526. You can reach this sanctuary in about 15 minutes by foot walking up…

The Parish church S. Stefano was erected in 1447 shortly after the founding of Sorico. It was rebuilt in 1703 by the architect Giorgio Giulini. From the fifteenth-century church remains the imposing bell tower (originally one of the three military towers used for the collection of tolls for the passage from one…

In 1688, a plaster relief of the Madonna of Sorrows kept in the small chapel of Lezzeno is said to have cried. And thus, in 1690 a Sanctuary was built in her honour. The work designed by Giovanni Battista Quadrio, was…

The parish church of Saints Nazaro Celso with the black-white Gothic front, was built in 1348 by Giovanni Ugo di Campione and architects from the valley…

The church dates from around 1614-1617. Noteworthy, are the walls from the outside, consisting of a mixed texture of stone and brick. The interior is richly decorated with frescos and sculpture.

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Built between the 11 and 12th centuries, where once stood a Roman villa with a small temple. In the fifteenth century the church was altered to its current form, incorporating parts of the previous Romanesque church. The left jamb of the portal bears a Roman tombstone dedicated to a dead child, Lucio…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Its origins go back to the Middle Ages of which only remains the gothic bell tower. The church stands in an isolated position, just below the village Aurogna. The view of  the northern end of the lake, where the rivers Mera and Adda flow into Lake Como, is splendid. Its origins go back to the Middle Ages of which…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The church was built in a dominating position overlooking the lake and the mouths of the river Adda and the river Mera and the plain called Pian di Spagna. The church became parish church in 1480. Inside it has many frescoes some by Aurelio Luini, son of the famous Bernardino Luino who painted the fresco depicting…

Baroque transformations have virtually erased the Romanesque structure of this 13th century church, but there is still evidence of the Renaissance, as the silver cross Golden Giovan Pietro Lierni (1533), the wooden crucifix of the high altar, and the high relief representative Pieta, outside the portal right side.…

Church built and updated from 1630 until the 18th century. Situated on hill top with view of Vercana and Lake Como.

The parish church of St. Salvatore is located in the village of Vercana and it has a real breathtaking view of Lake of Como. The exterior of the church is very simple the interior, instead, has the most rich and beautiful baroque decorations of the territory.

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The roman church is surrounded by a large garden of plane trees. It is traditionally thought to have been erected over the site where the two Martyrs were tortured to death and then buried. It is believed…

S.Maria delle Grazie called "Il Convento", church and convent of Augustine friars, erected in 1467 replacing a VI century small chapel of S.Salvatore. The interior abounds in XVI century frescos of the Lombard school which…

The chapel, located at the entrance of the village, just after the bridge over the Liro, was probably built in the seventeenth century. The church, has a small adjoining sacristy on the west side and is polygonal outside.…

In Gravedona traces of medieval times are found along the banks, there where the lakeside reveals a rare and beautiful church: St. Maria del Tiglio. Its architectural design made the 'Maestri Comacini' famous then…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The extraordinary Romanesque church of S. Maria del Tiglio, that stands approximately 800 m left of the boat dock. It is one of the most important Romanesque buildings of the province. Built in the XII century it preserves precious frescoes and a wooden crucifix.…

A series of chapels depicting Christ’s final journey to Mount Golgotha. The traditional 14 stations have been added to with a 15th dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows and are located in a rectangular square in front of…

The church stands on a hill, away from residential areas; It can be reached via a path through the woods and ends close to the facade; it is accessed from the main entrance facade and a second entrance on the eastern side. The church has suffered the ravages of time but the remaining frescos are of…

Of Romanesque origins; and one of the most oldest parish churches on Lake Como. Its present appearance derives from renovations made in the seventeenth century. lnside: there are frescoes from the fifteenth and…

Photo: fratiminori.it

Believed to be the site of a miracle where a fresco of the Madonna and child shed tears. The Sanctuary is located along the main road just past the ridge over the river Albano. It dates back to the period a miracle happened in 1…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

A simple, hut-like church, interrupted only by two slits and, at the top by a cross window. The church S. Maria in Martinico rises in a slightly elevated position compared with the center of Dongo. Below, the simple portal opens up with a architrave decorated by a carved cross. The interior is characterised by a…

The San Eusebio church is located just before arriving at the village Peglio. It stands in a beautiful position, overlooking the lake. It is one of the most significant examples of the counter Reformation in the Como area. Inside you can admire the famous paintings created by Giovanni Mauro della Rovere  (called…

The church of S. Eufemia is located in a panoramic position on a rock cliff of the Sasso di Musso. You can reach it only by foot from the village Genico, by following a path which was probabilly built by the Romans. From the church there is a lovely view of the Northern part of the lake. The church is of the 16th…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The pastoral visit made by Bishop Ninguarda in the late sixteenth century to Brenzio resulted in this church dedicated to St. John the Baptist. At the time there were 450 parishioners. Within St. John the Baptist is the Oratory of St. Joseph. By decree of November 10, 1964 the bishop Felice Bonomini the parish of…

Photo: Chiesetta di Santa Margherita

Small church dating back to the eleventh century dedicated to Santa Margherita and linked to the cult of the Saints Hermits Larian. Its location is strategically significant as a…

Fifteenth century renovation of an older church. lt has a fourteenth century bell tower with a spire, and contains a silver-gilt processional cross dated 1489 by the artist from Gravedona F. Ser Gregori.

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The parish church can be reached through an uphill street passing by the Baroque chapel of the Crocetta. The 19th century front is very elegant and shows a typical Greek shape wanted by the architect  Bovara. Inside it hosts an altar dating back to the 18th century and valuable carvings from the 17th century…

It is one of the first of a series of churches that recall Sicily as many people that lived in these valleys were forced to emigrate…

This church was built between 1464 and 1474. Its bell tower still preserves pre-existing Romanesque elements. Inside, the church is richly decorated with paintings  On the front of…

Set high above Musso with stunning views of the lake is San Bernardo who’s origins date from the 1700’s. It is a particularly scenic spot, with the Albano valley behind it and the elegant pyramid of mount Legnone opposite with the bay of Piona and the plain known as Pian di Spagna at…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

High on the road is the sanctuary of the Madonna of Peace, erected in 1659 to celebrate the peace of Pirenei, which ended the Thirty Year War between the French and Spaniards. Characteristic is the Romanesque hanging bell (sec. XIII), and in the sanctuary is the venerated image of a Madonna from which are said…

10

Michelin Star Restaurants




Michelin Star Restaurants

30

Beaches & Lido Clubs




Beaches and Lido Clubs

10

Water Taxis & Boat Tours




Water Taxis & Boat Tours

Loading Page Content

Save and share the places you like with friends and fellow travellers.