Churches near Parco San Marco

Photo: Parco San Marco

We are the leading holiday hotel and gastronomy business at Lago di Lugano, working in an economically successful and independent way. The…

The church S. Carlo which was built in 1614 on order of Cinzio Calvi so that he and his wife could have their tombs in it. The church has a characteristic Spanish style bell tower a reminder of the period of Spanish domination in the 15-16th century. The bell tower can be seen from the center of town.

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Originated in the eleventh century as a building with a single nave, then it changed to three in the following centuries. The church has beautiful statues, decorated with low and high stucco relief and valuable fresco paintings from the 17 and 18th centuries by the famous artist family G. Crespi and C. Scotti from…

The church S. Marta is of ancient origins. On the facade you can see the Roman memorial plaque of Minicio Exorato, a notable of the Roman empire; above it the town-arms. Inside the church there are some interesting paintings of the 17th century.

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

This parish church rebuilt between 1725 and 1738, is a remarkable example of Baroque art. Inside, in addition to the frescoes of Luigi Tagliaferro, is a valuable painting of the "Madonna of the Seven Sorrows" and a wooden statue of Lorenzo Matieli 1737.

The parish church of S. Stefano is of very ancient origins whose original Roman structures have however been lost; in fact the orientation itself is in…

A perfect morning or afternoon hike with stunning views of Lake Como. San Martino is Lake Como’s most famous mountain church perched on a top a cliff above the town of Griante. Its official name is "Santuario Della Madonna delle Grazie di San Martino", but most everyone simply refers to it as San Martino. A…

This church is located in the village Nobiallo just north of Menaggio. The houses are clustered around the church which stands on the Antica Strada Regina, the antique Roman Road that connected Como with Alpine passes. The characteristic leaning bell tower is from the 13th century.

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

High on the road is the sanctuary of the Madonna of Peace, erected in 1659 to celebrate the peace of Pirenei, which ended the Thirty Year War between the French and Spaniards. Characteristic is the Romanesque hanging bell (sec. XIII), and in the sanctuary is the venerated image of a Madonna from which are said…

Located in the upper part of town, on the site of an ancient fortification, and is composed of the church, sacristy and entrance tower.

Photo: BOLD

The parish church is located next to the historical centre of the village of Griante. It was built at the beginning of the 18th century on the site of an ancient temple, that was probably consecrated by St. Felice, bishop of Como. The church has a simple structure with a single nave, a transept and two lateral…

Photo: SS.Nazaro and Celso

Located at the cemetery, along the old path leading to Lanzo, it is among the most significant monuments of Valle Intelvi. The church stands on a site in itself archaeologically interesting: during work to reinforce embankments Roman tombs of imperial age were found, while still present, adjacent to the building is a rock-tomb of probable Roman-barbaric origin.

In the hills of Tremezzo is the town of Rogaro whose old centre consists of 18th century homes grouped around the Baroque church dedicated to Mary. The church houses the famous wooden statue known as the Black Madonna which is said…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The church was built in the 11th Century but has been almost comepletely rebuilt in the 17th century. Inside there are  splendid coloured "scagliole". In the Intelvi Valley the Maestri Intelvesi used a special material called "scagliola" or false marble to decorate churches and monuments. Many families or artisan workshops …

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Although early in Christian origin, this church collapsed due to erosion at the end of the 16th century and was completely rebuilt in the Baroque style. Of note, are lavish frescos, sculpture wooden inlaid furniture and a stone font presbytery.

The church of St. Agatha is opposite to the parish of St. Stephen and is oriented to the west. It is a small building with gabled facade, two bays, two niches in the first bay, two chapels rectangular plan in the second and a presbytery with a square plan, which gives access to the sacristy. The main façade is…

Photo: Kaitu

The church stands in the beautiful small square of the village Barna.  It was built as a Parish church in 1636. The inside presents itself with one…

Located right on the lake in the village of Tremezzo, the church began construction in 1775 and completed in 1896. The inside of the church was painted by Luigi Tagliaferri, who did all the paintings of the chorus and of the vault. The walls were built with blocks of hewn stone from Moltrasio.

Located in a beautiful natural setting surrounded by quiet woods and stately lime trees, on a plateau halfway up the mountain Pìnzernone. The shrine is dedicated to a young martyr of the fourth century; who is always…

Right at the beginning of the town of Castiglione, with the green Intelvi valley as a back ground, stands the oratory of the Madonna del Restello built in the 17th century to thank the Madonna for the end of a plague that had infested the valley.  Inside the precious baroque stuccos of the altar and the…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The Parish Church is of Roman origin with a characteristic bell tower known "Tower Theodolinda" with distinct corner pilasters and arches. It is believed to be built on the ruins of an early medieval castle belonging to Queen Theodolinda, whose jeweled crown appears on the coat of arms. The nave frescoes and…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Located in an isolated spot outside the hamlet of Veglio where originally stood a small medieval church of which only remains the apse (now a side chapel). It is considered one of the most beautiful and intact examples of 11-12th century architecture of the area. The first chapel upon entering was built in the…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The parish church of St. Abbondio rises isolated on the western side of the village of Mezzegra, with its majestic front facing the lake. It was probably founded in the 12th century in Romanesque style, then rebuilt in 1702 by local emigrants and consecrated in 1724. The restoration works left its right side out, which was to become today’s…

On the ancient road that ran through the Val d'Intelvi, between Biazzeno and Dizzasco stands the parish church SS. Pietro and Paolo with its tall bell tower. It stands on a hillock with a wide…

Photo: Lago di Como (Lake Como)

The parish church stands in the XI Febbraio square, near the baptistery, overlooking the renowned Venere Gulf, from where you are presented with an enchanting…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Next to Lenno’s parish church is the baptistery, dating back to the second half of the 11th century and dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. The outside is simple and plain, with a square bell-tower and an apse on the…

This building is the parish church of Ossuccio and was built after the church bearing the same name, situated on the Comacina Island. It dates back to the 12th century and during the restoration works of 1959 many parts of the Romanesque building were restored. On the left side of the presbytery there…

This Romanesque church with emblematic bell tower was once a lodging for pilgrims making their way to Rome along Lake Como’s western shore. The history of the church has always been bound with contiguous ancient medieval hospice. The single nave Romanesque church dates…

Photo: Abbazia dell'Acquafredda

Located in the upper part of the village of Lenno. Once it was called monastery of Roncate after the name of the hamlet where it was built, but later it became the "Abbazia dell’Acquafredda" (the ‘Freshwater abbey’), because of a fresh source near the church which is believed to be miraculous. The abbey was…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

With origins in the 17th century and remodelled later with an image of the patron saint on the facade by Bernardino Barelli. Noteworthy are the altar sculptures, frescoes, stucco, oil paintings, a Renaissance tabernacle and the wooden reliquary busts of St. Faustina and Liberata. Be sure to see the wonderful…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

This little Romanesque church is built directly on the lake and still preserves its original structure. Worth seeing is not only the sail bell tower, but also the several traces of frescoes on the internal and external walls, among which stands out the huge image of S. Cristoforo. Other…

Photo: The Sacred Mount of Ossuccio

The Sacred Mount of Ossuccio is one of the nine sacri monti in the Italian regions of Lombardy and Piedmont which were inscribed on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 2003. The devotional complex is located on a prealpine crag some 2…

Photo: Laurom

This sanctuary is part of a series of shrines along a one kilometer cobble stoned walkway. The shrines depict scenes of the Madonna’s and Christ’s life and are represented by frescos and natural size statues made of…

Parish church of Argegno made with Moltrasio stone in the Neo-romanic Style. A construction in neo-Romanesque style with a gabled facade enhanced by a rose window depicting saints. On the front of the church is a mosaic of the four Evangelists, the patron of Como, Saint Abbundius and Saint Anna, patron saint of Argegno.

The church stands on the lake but you can also reach it from the antique center via small alleyways and steps. Next…

The monastery is located about 800 m above sea level, on the southern slope of Mount Galbiga, at the confluence of two tributary valleys of the stream Perlana, from which it takes its name. The place, evocative and isolated, has meant that the religious building maintained almost unchanged the original architectural…

10

Michelin Star Restaurants




Michelin Star Restaurants

30

Beaches & Lido Clubs




Beaches and Lido Clubs

10

Water Taxis & Boat Tours




Water Taxis & Boat Tours

Loading Page Content

Save and share the places you like with friends and fellow travellers.