Churches

An omni-present feature of Lake Como’s skyline is the Como Cathedral with its white marble facade and imposing dome. The interior is equally spectacular boasting elaborate altar paintings, gargoyles and a magnificent dome. Como Cathedral (Italian:…

Occupying an enviable position high above the town of Como and Como branch of the lake, the church of Brunate contains a wealth of history and art. The centuries-old history of the church contains beautiful artistic works (the fifteenth-century fresco with Santa Guglielma, the seventeenth-century paintings of the brothers Recchi, the…

This Romanesque church with emblematic bell tower was once a lodging for pilgrims making their way to Rome along Lake Como’s western shore. The history of the church has always been bound with contiguous ancient medieval hospice. The single nave Romanesque church dates back to the 11th - 12th…

Photo: The Sacred Mount of Ossuccio

The Sacred Mount of Ossuccio is one of the nine sacri monti in the Italian regions of Lombardy and Piedmont which were inscribed on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 2003. The devotional complex is located on a prealpine crag some 200 metres above the…

Photo: triangololariano.it

One of the finest examples of Lombard-Romanesque with an intact apse. The parish Church of San Giacomo (St. James) dates back to the 12th century. The rest of the structure has undergone numerous restorations, especially during the 18th century. Inside are valuable…

The Piona Priory or Piona Abbey, is a religious complex on the Lecco bank of Lake Como in the territory of the municipality of Colico, northern Italy. The abbey is set at the top of a small peninsula, the Olgiasca, which – like a crooked finger – points into the lake, creating an inlet. The abbey of Piona, or more exactly, the Priory of…

Photo: Geobia

Located in the middle of the walled town, the church was built between the 11th to the end of the 13th century and was possibly the first cathedral in Como. It features a complex planimetry including three short naves, provided with women's…

A perfect morning or afternoon hike with stunning views of Lake Como. San Martino is Lake Como’s most famous mountain church perched on a top a cliff above the town of Griante. Its official name is "Santuario Della Madonna delle Grazie di San Martino", but most everyone simply refers to it as San Martino. A hike to this church is one…

These are considered as one of the greatest Romanesque architectural monuments in Europe and are part of a single Benedictine settlement. Important note: the Church can be reached only on foot walking for about 1 hour through a mountain path (300 m difference in height). The first documents are from the 7th –8th century and,…

Photo: Laurom

This sanctuary is part of a series of shrines along a one kilometer cobble stoned walkway. The shrines depict scenes of the Madonna’s and Christ’s life and are represented by frescos and natural size statues made of stucco and terracotta.…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The extraordinary Romanesque church of S. Maria del Tiglio, that stands approximately 800 m left of the boat dock. It is one of the most important Romanesque buildings of the province. Built in the XII century it preserves precious frescoes and a wooden crucifix. The wall face with grey,…

The Basilica of Sant'Abbondio is located outside the walls of Como, under Mount Croce, along a stretch of Via Regina that was an important area of ​​worship. The church has two notable bell towers rising at the end of the external aisles, in the middle of the nave. Notable is…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

This little Romanesque church is built directly on the lake and still preserves its original structure. Worth seeing is not only the sail bell tower, but also the several traces of frescoes on the internal and external walls, among which stands out the huge image of S. Cristoforo. Other frescos depict scenes from…

Main church in Lecco dedicated to the saint patorn of sailors. Its structure is in Neoclassical style thanks to the architect Giuseppe Bovara who worked on its enlargement and contains 17th century furniture, a baptismal font of 1596, Romanesque parts of the 11th century and a chapel decorated with stories of St. Anthony (dated late 1…

Near the top of the Ghisallo pass stands the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Ghisallo. Its name, according to the legend, comes from a certain "Ghisallo" who, in the Middle Ages, near the pass was attacked …

The church, that stands near the lake, contains interesting frescoes, and the outside is characterized by an open porch to the lake with a double lancetwindow and a tall stone bell tower. It was the church of the community, which remained independent throughout the Middle Ages.

Photo: triangololariano.it

Dedicated to St. John the Baptist built between 1641 and 1675 while the facade was only completed in 1962. The ornate decoration of the interior is in a Baroque style, with a monumental wooden altar consisting of life-sized saints and angels richly decorated in black and gold. Also worthy of note is a niche representation of the Last…

The parish church of Saints Nazaro Celso with the black-white Gothic front, was built in 1348 by Giovanni Ugo di Campione and architects from the valley Intelvi. The church has…

Located right on the lake in the village of Tremezzo, the church began construction in 1775 and completed in 1896. The inside of the church was painted by Luigi Tagliaferri, who did all the paintings of the chorus and of the vault. The walls were built with blocks of hewn stone from Moltrasio.

Miro Canzo was a 14th century hermit and pilgrim, belonging, according to some scholars, the Franciscan Third Order, venerated as a saint of the Catholic Church in the Larian region. In 1660, the oratory of San Miro came into existence along the Val Ravella, a place of hermitage of Miro. The area internally frescoed with episodes of…

The S. Cecillia Monastery, built around the middle of the thirteenth century, from 1270 was driven by the Lucini family and support of the Franciscans and the bishop Leone Lambertenghi. The building lies on the Roman walls of the imperial age, considered to be the Porta Pretoria Diocletian, destroyed by the Milanese in the Ten-Year War…

Photo: triangololariano.it

The church of Saints Peter and Paul was believed to have been founded in the eleventh century by Bishop Rainald and consecrated in 1095 by Pope Urban II, who was traveling to Clermont-Ferrand to call the first crusade. Over the centuries, the building underwent many…

The church of S. Eufemia is located in a panoramic position on a rock cliff of the Sasso di Musso. You can reach it only by foot from the village Genico, by following a path which was probabilly built by the Romans. From the church there is a lovely view of the Northern part of the lake. The church is of the 16th century.

The current building was built on the site previously occupied by an older church: its construction began in 1593 and lasted until the next century (1617), when it became an independent parish. In the eighteenth century underwent a partial reconstruction that made it is seen today.…

Set high above Musso with stunning views of the lake is San Bernardo who’s origins date from the 1700’s. It is a particularly scenic spot, with the Albano valley behind it and the elegant pyramid of mount Legnone opposite with the bay of Piona and the plain known as Pian di Spagna at its foot.

Photo: triangololariano.it

Built between 1723 and 1744 and consecrated by Bishop Albrici Pellegrini in 1764. The façade, in the Baroque style, is characterized by four pilasters and from the portal flanked by two niches and…

Temple of the Shrine dedicated to Our Lady of the Water Sports Prodigy. In a stormy crossing of the Adriatic, on the night of September 12, 1669, the family of Count Antonio Zancaropulo Berardo escaping from Crete, sought shelter in Venice. During the terrible storm, a simple wooden table,…

Next Page

Loading Page Content

Save and share the places you like with friends and fellow travellers.