Churches near Crotto dei Platani

Photo: Crotto dei Platani

Located directly on the lake and renowed for the originality of the dishes, impeccable service and tranquil, lakeside location. Customers can choose from a cozy Veranda, a…

The Church of Saints Nazario and Celso is just a short walk away from the waters of Lake Como, near the harbor in the old town of Brienno. Some documents attest to the presence of a church since the end of the thirteenth century, the Romanesque…

Parish church of Argegno made with Moltrasio stone in the Neo-romanic Style. A construction in neo-Romanesque style with a gabled facade enhanced by a rose window depicting saints. On the front of the church is a mosaic of the four Evangelists, the patron of Como, Saint Abbundius and Saint Anna, patron saint of Argegno.

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

With origins in the 17th century and remodelled later with an image of the patron saint on the facade by Bernardino Barelli. Noteworthy are the altar sculptures, frescoes, stucco, oil paintings, a Renaissance tabernacle and the wooden reliquary busts of St. Faustina and Liberata. Be sure to see the wonderful…

Urio, the part of the town that lies south of Carate, is characterized by the Romanesque bell tower of the Saints Quirico and Giulitta church that stands close to the lake. Rebuilt in 1865 from an original Romanesque church with…

The church stands on the lake but you can also reach it from the antique center via small alleyways and steps. Next…

On the ancient road that ran through the Val d'Intelvi, between Biazzeno and Dizzasco stands the parish church SS. Pietro and Paolo with its tall bell tower. It stands on a hillock with a wide…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

This little Romanesque church is built directly on the lake and still preserves its original structure. Worth seeing is not only the sail bell tower, but also the several traces of frescoes on the internal and external walls, among which stands out the huge image of S. Cristoforo. Other…

Photo: rete.comuni-italiani.it

Situated in the hamlet of Vignola, along the ancient Via Regina, it preserves its ancient structure in bare stone decorated with small arches. The exterior has remains of Renaissance and late Gothic frescos. The interior is divided into two naves with semi-circular apses. There is a particularly fine 16th…

Right at the beginning of the town of Castiglione, with the green Intelvi valley as a back ground, stands the oratory of the Madonna del Restello built in the 17th century to thank the Madonna for the end of a plague that had infested the valley.  Inside the precious baroque stuccos of the altar and the…

This Romanesque church with emblematic bell tower was once a lodging for pilgrims making their way to Rome along Lake Como’s western shore. The history of the church has always been bound with contiguous ancient medieval hospice. The single nave Romanesque church dates…

This building is the parish church of Ossuccio and was built after the church bearing the same name, situated on the Comacina Island. It dates back to the 12th century and during the restoration works of 1959 many parts of the Romanesque building were restored. On the left side of the presbytery there…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Although early in Christian origin, this church collapsed due to erosion at the end of the 16th century and was completely rebuilt in the Baroque style. Of note, are lavish frescos, sculpture wooden inlaid furniture and a stone font presbytery.

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The church was built in the 11th Century but has been almost comepletely rebuilt in the 17th century. Inside there are  splendid coloured "scagliole". In the Intelvi Valley the Maestri Intelvesi used a special material called "scagliola" or false marble to decorate churches and monuments. Many families or artisan workshops …

The church of St. Agatha is opposite to the parish of St. Stephen and is oriented to the west. It is a small building with gabled facade, two bays, two niches in the first bay, two chapels rectangular plan in the second and a presbytery with a square plan, which gives access to the sacristy. The main façade is…

Photo: Lago di Como (Lake Como)

The parish church stands in the XI Febbraio square, near the baptistery, overlooking the renowned Venere Gulf, from where you are presented with an enchanting…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Next to Lenno’s parish church is the baptistery, dating back to the second half of the 11th century and dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. The outside is simple and plain, with a square bell-tower and an apse on the…

Photo: The Sacred Mount of Ossuccio

The Sacred Mount of Ossuccio is one of the nine sacri monti in the Italian regions of Lombardy and Piedmont which were inscribed on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 2003. The devotional complex is located on a prealpine crag some 2…

Photo: Laurom

This sanctuary is part of a series of shrines along a one kilometer cobble stoned walkway. The shrines depict scenes of the Madonna’s and Christ’s life and are represented by frescos and natural size statues made of…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The Parish Church is of Roman origin with a characteristic bell tower known "Tower Theodolinda" with distinct corner pilasters and arches. It is believed to be built on the ruins of an early medieval castle belonging to Queen Theodolinda, whose jeweled crown appears on the coat of arms. The nave frescoes and…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Located in an isolated spot outside the hamlet of Veglio where originally stood a small medieval church of which only remains the apse (now a side chapel). It is considered one of the most beautiful and intact examples of 11-12th century architecture of the area. The first chapel upon entering was built in the…

Photo: Abbazia dell'Acquafredda

Located in the upper part of the village of Lenno. Once it was called monastery of Roncate after the name of the hamlet where it was built, but later it became the "Abbazia dell’Acquafredda" (the ‘Freshwater abbey’), because of a fresh source near the church which is believed to be miraculous. The abbey was…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

Built on location of a church dating back to the 16th century, Santi Epimaco e Girdino was completely rebuilt in the second half of the 18th century. The original parish church is located in the lower part of town, near the lake. For this reason, during the twentieth century it was abandoned and the benefit of the…

The church is located next to the parish church of SS. Quirico e Giulitta and is accessed by three steps. It dates from the fourteenth century and was enlarged with the construction of two bays in the middle of the sixteenth century. Noteworthy are the frescos on the church’s exterior entrance.

Parish church built in the sixteenth century and later remodeled. The choir has a fresco by painter G. Quaglio. Next to the parish is the Oratory dedicated to Santa Marta with a fascinating frescoed facade in bas-relief from the sixteenth century, depicting the Deposition and the Annunciation. Note two walnut…

Photo: Lombardia Beni Culturali

The church of Santa Tecla is near the harbor in a quiet and pleasant; recently restored, in it you can see the remains of frescoes by Bartolomeo De Benzi and Andrea De Passeris. Located on the right bank of Lake Como, Torno preserves the characteristics of a medieval village, with some significant architectonic…

The village contains this interesting church that dates back to the 14th century. It has a fine Romanesque bell tower and a decorated Renaissance portal. An ancient chest behind the altar preserves a precious reliquary, a nail of the Holy Cross.

Photo: triangololariano.it

Built in the Romanesque period, between the 11 and 12th centuries, but underwent many changes and expansions to its current appearance. It was the first parish church of Molina; over the centuries, the population…

Church built between 1910 and 1931 in Palanzo, a small village above Faggeto Lario. The short hike affords great views of the lake from a a nearby park.

Photo: triangololariano.it

The church already existed in the fifteenth century but was rimaneggita between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. The Romanesque bell tower displays although its construction is significantly late. During the…

The church of San Rocco was the parish church of Pognana Lario up to 1744,…

Photo: triangololariano.it

Built between 1723 and 1744 and consecrated by Bishop Albrici Pellegrini in 1764. The façade, in the Baroque style, is characterized by four pilasters and from the portal…

Photo: triangololariano.it

This is situated in the locality of Rovasco and is from the 12th-13th centuries. It was renovated several times and was extended in the fourteenth century. It has preserved frescoes of the Blessed Virgin with Baby Jesus and St. Christopher. It is believed that its dedication to San Miro derives from the…

The church, that stands near the lake, contains interesting frescoes, and the outside is characterized by an open porch to the lake with a double lancetwindow and a tall stone bell tower. It was the church of the community, which remained independent throughout the Middle Ages.

Built in the second half of the sixteenth century, this church was remodeled and expanded in later periods. Distinct for its large columns and the sixteenth round arches on the porch.

St. George, as with other holy warriors (Michael and Martin) was highly revered by the Lombards. The present church was built in the sixteenth century on the site of a former…

Photo: triangololariano.it

The church of Saints Peter and Paul was believed to have been founded in the eleventh century by Bishop Rainald and consecrated in 1095 by Pope Urban II, who was traveling to Clermont-Ferrand to call the first crusade. Over the centuries, the building…

The current building was built on the site previously occupied by an older church: its construction began in 1593 and lasted until the next century (1617), when it became an independent parish. In the eighteenth century underwent a partial reconstruction that…

Photo: triangololariano.it

The small chapel is located in the historic center of Veleso, at the intersection of several streets. The façade is decorated with a fresco depicting the Crucifixion.

Next Page

Loading Page Content

Save and share the places you like with friends and fellow travellers.